home about projects services contact

Friday, September 19, 2014

Hand Painted Sign…Cheers!


While it seems that most everyone else in blogland is decorating for fall these days, I am currently decorating for a party!


image


Today is my birthday! And tomorrow we are having an open house/birthday party to celebrate my new decade and our new kitchen.

Yes, I know I have not shared final photos of our new kitchen, but I have been so busy cleaning and prepping for the party I have not had time. Not only does the inside of the house need to be cleaned and decorated…so does the backyard. I set up a bar area in our outside cabana the other night and shared a photo on my Instagram


image
 
 
I love the way it is looking out there! I hung an empty frame that I had sitting in the garage to cozy up the space…
 
 
image
 
 
 
I plan to add some colorful paper banners, but I also wanted to add the word Cheers to this bar area, so I came up with an idea today to add a hand painted wood sign.
 
 
 
image
Perfect!
 
 
This simple sign took less than 2 hours to make. Follow these steps and tips to create your own hand painted wood sign!
 
First, I went on my computer and found a font I (sort of) liked…
 
 
image
 
 
 
This is Papyrus which I like, but I wanted the letters to be a bit beefier so I penciled them in. I already had some old barn wood pieces so I selected one in just the right size.
 
 
 
image
 
 
 
I used this clever trick to transfer the letters onto the board…
 
 
 
image
 
 
 
Just rub a piece of white chalk all over the back of your paper, place it chalk side down on your board and trace the outline of each letter. Lift your paper and you now have the perfect outline of each letter to fill in with paint…
 
 
 
image
 
 
 
image
 
 
 
You can retrace your chalk letters to make them easier to see if needed. Follow this tip,  that I shared in a past post to sharpen your chalk…
 
 
 
image
 
 
 
Next, I filled in each letter with some white craft paint…
 
 
 
image
 
 
 
Simple…and oh so cute!
 
 
 
image
 
 
 
I added a couple of hooks and hung it inside of my empty frame with some twine…
 
 
 
image
 
 
 
I am looking forward to celebrating with family and friends this weekend. You can find me here on Saturday night…
 
 
 
image
 
 
Cheers!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
01 09 10