home about projects services contact

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

From Dollar Store to Adorable…

I recently purchased these plain white candles in a glass at a local Dollar Store…

image


I think they call these 7 hour candles…so I am assuming they will burn for 7 hours! If that is indeed the case, they will be perfect to add lighting and ambience to the backyard Grad Party we are hosting in June.


The party’s color them is Red & Black – after the high school colors – & White. So I thought what better way to add interest and character than with some book pages! Time to find an old book and some Mod Podge…


image


Next step is to rip out some pages - cut them into strips - and simply glue them onto the glass…


image


image


I also bought a dozen of these smaller red candles in a glass jar…


image


I decided to give them a similar treatment with strips of book pages…


image


image


Already looking better than the plain Dollar Store candles, but still need a little more. I decided to add some red and black ribbon…


image


Much better…


image


image


Finally, from just plain Dollar Store…to Adorable!


image



image


image


I picked up some various dictionaries and reference books with red and black covers at our local thrift stores and garage sales. They will be fun to add to the décor and blend perfectly with the color scheme and theme…


image


I will be using more book page ideas around the party. One of the best posts for inspiration can be found over at The Nesting Place blog seen here


Pinned Image


Her book page decorating ideas are fantastic…and more like little works of art as you can tell by the image above! I really like the look of all of the projects made with book pages and think it will add a lot of fun to the party décor.


I plan to keep my projects a little more simple. Check out some of my inspiration photos on my Pinterest board - Grad Party 2012 - seen here.




6 comments:

  1. Beautiful simplicity! A little bit of craftiness and you transformed these candles to make them the perfect fit for your decor. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From dull to delightful. These are just up my Mod Podged alley!

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I found you over at Serenity Now! Love this idea, it's elegant, but also academic, very fitting for the new grad!

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10