Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Summer Recipe Series - The "V" Spot



Today, we have a non-edible treat! Vivienne from The V Spot shares a cute and clever way to use a salt dough recipe to make some adorable summer decor!

Take it away Viv...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Hello Elegant Nest readers! I'm Vivienne from The V Spot.  I love Laura's blog and was so excited when she asked me to fill in for her today.


Photobucket

Last year I was on a faux coral kick and made several pieces out of a basic salt dough.  You can get the recipe and see those here;.  I also made up a few pieces to make it look like red coral.


faux red coral, apothecary jar 

Red coral is pretty popular these days.

  View Image  Faux Red Coral Branch
                    image credit                                                    image credit                                                     image credit             


I don’t want to pay too much, well, for anything (ever) but I figured I would give it a go to make some.



clay, coral, doush, DIY, faux


I rolled little “snakes” of dough and just kind of “free-formed” a wiggly little tree.  I let it air dry until it was hardened.

Once completely dry, I took it out and painted it with Rustoleum’s  American Accents spray paint in Colonial Red.


painted, red, coral, faux


I first thought I was going to have to put an orange-ish glaze over this once it was dry, but the paint soaked into the yellow/brown clay and the color is working for me.

I brought them inside and popped them into an apothecary jar with some shells, burlap, and a piece of “driftwood” (aka a long piece of garden mulch)


seas shells, coral, apothecary jar, decor


I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.  Works for me!


red coral, sea shells, apothecary jar, decor

Do you decorate with beachy items during the summer?  Want to give this a try?  

Thanks for having me over, Laura!  You can find me at The V Spot, on Twitter; and on Facebook.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Vivienne!

I love using red coral in my decor...especially during the summer months. I recently purchased some outdoor pillows with the coral motif.


1 comment:

  1. How cool! I've never seen this before but what a great way to get the look for less. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10