Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A friendly reminder…


Last Saturday night was a great night. Homecoming Dance for my High School sophomore…


image
getting ready…
 
 
 
image
some of the guys…
 
 
 
image
Andrew and friends…
 
 
Sushi dinner at our favorite restaurant…
 
 
yummy…
 
 
Quiet evening at home with the first fire for the season…
 
 
image
Ginger loves to lay by the fire…


All is well with the world right?  Well not for long.  About 30 seconds after this somewhat fuzzy
i-phone picture was taken, we heard a loud WHOOSH!…like a freight train coming down the chimney! Ginger jumped up and started barking…I jumped up and ran for the phone. 911!



image
 
 
 
image
…not a sight anyone wants in front of their house!
 
 
Our cozy little fire turned in a flash into a chimney fire, and began filling the house with smoke! SCARY! Two fire trucks arrived and confirmed the chimney fire and checked the house, including the attic space.
 
Please be sure to have your chimneys checked and cleaned this season!
 
 
Dick Van Dyke from Mary Poppins via
 
 
For recommended guidelines and FAQ’s visit the Chimney Safety Institute of America website here.
 

 
 
Thankfully all was fine. The fire was contained to the chimney and no other damage was done…except for the smoke. Now the house just smells like a campfire! Hopefully that will dissipate in a few more days.
 
 
Remember to be safe and prepared this winter season, and remember just how quickly a great evening can turn into a scary moment!
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Good god, I'm so glad you are all safe and no damage was done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good I love you blog
    saludos desde Chile

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no...so thankful that all are okay and it was contained. We had to evacuate our home after a lightening strike, so I know the feeling of having those trucks parked out front. Scary!! We really do need to have ours cleaned...it's been forever...thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness...that is really scary. I'm glad you are all safe. I have heard of this happening and it is a good reminder for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LauraI
    love your blog so since is my turn for giving the "The Versatile Bloger" awards, I chose "Elegant Nest" for it. Hope you like it. You can pick it up at my site.Regards,
    Angélica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness Laura! How scary. In our old house I worried about that happening (thankfully it never did). I cannot imagine. I am happy everything turned out ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, that is so scary! We haven't used our fireplace yet this season ~ and are having it inspected and cleaned this Tuesday. So glad the fire was contained to your chimney and that no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10