home about projects services contact

Friday, April 27, 2012

Sprucing up the yard…part 1


In my last post, I talked about filling a couple of my outdoor pots with new foliage and color. It started with a trip to the Home Depot garden department for all the necessary supplies…

image

I already have 2 pots that I purchased years ago…

image

As I talked about in the last post seen here…I will be using 3 types of plants in each pot. Commonly referred to as the thriller, filler, and spiller technique.  I like to start with the largest/tallest plant - the “thriller”…

image
New Zealand Flax Bronze

I chose an ornamental grass called New Zealand Flax Bronze. I like the height and texture this type of grass adds, with its sharp spiked leaves and mix of green and bronze colors. I positioned it toward the back of the pot in order to leave room for the other plants to be added.

Next, I usually like to add the “spiller” plant…

image
Bacopa Gulliver White

One of my favorite “spillers” to use is Bacopa. This low growing plant is perfect to use for hanging baskets, tucked into rock walls, or even as a small scale groundcover. It produces white blossoms spring though fall. I love the way it looks when it grows and cascades over the sides of the pot

Finally, time to add the “filler” or flowers to the pot. I tuck them in between the other two plants…literally filling in the spaces in between…

image
Impatiens

Since these two pots will be in the shade part of the day I decided to use Impatiens. They come in a wide variety of colors…these are a mix of orange, red, and white. I chose these colors to accent some new pillows I will be adding to our Adirondack chairs nearby…currently awaiting their own facelift!

image

image

image

Here it is…tucked into a shady corner of the yard, under my hanging bird feeder. It feels great to have one project done…and crossed off the list!

Next, I will be sprucing up some of my existing yard art…and showing you a few new whimsical pieces, recently added to the yard for fun…

image

Stay tuned!



15 comments:

  1. Lovely, and I will remember the "thriller, spiller and filler" thing - love it!
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pots are beautiful!! I need to update our yard art as well. And, our tiki torches need a new coat of ORB!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura - love the phrase "thriller, spiller and filler" - definitely will use that when planting my pots this year. Glad I found your blog - via Amanda's Serenity Now Weekend Blog Linky Party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty! I've also been getting pretty chummy with out local Home Depot plant department:) Can't wait to see where the Buddha winds up.

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura...I love it. Keep the tips coming! I need some major help in the planting department! :-) Heidi Rew from PartiesforPennies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thriller, spiller, and filler. Now, that's a concept I'll be able to remember next time I plant my containers. Yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura,

    I just saw that this post was featured over at Serenity Now.

    Congrats,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful! I would love it if you would share with my readers at my link party.

    http://herecomesthesun-kelly.blogspot.com/2012/04/fabulous-friday-23.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need all of the help I can get in the planting department. I recently planted my large pot on the front porch, I wish I would have seen this post first. Thanks for the tips Laura, your urn's turned out beautiful. I will have to remember thriller, spiller, filler next time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful....just became your newest follower and subscriber! Come on by my blog for a visit and maybe even subscribe if you like! Have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your planters look incredible! And what a great way to pick out your plants... thriller, spiller and filler! That's genius :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the planters and the flowers that you have chosen, can't wait to see what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  13. STUNNING POPS OF COLOR!!!All my favs! I just love your arrangement:) Deidre~ http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com Stop over and check out my blooms:))

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look great! I use this method too and love how they come out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous planter! I'm all about symmetry so I never thought to push the "thriller" towards the back instead of centering it! I love the way this looks with all the filler and spiller in the spotlight. I think I may just change the way I assemble my next planter (which will include bacopa for the first time - so happy to hear great things about it!)

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10