home about projects services contact

Monday, August 27, 2012

Thrifty Finds for August…


Inspired by the always fun post -  Thrifty Treasures - by Rhoda over on her blog Southern Hospitality… I want to share some of my Thrifty Finds for August!

I have several favorite thrift stores and consignment shops that I like to stop into regularly just to browse and see what treasures I might find. Here are few things I purchased this month…

A set of 4 brass chargers…and a cute little white ceramic bowl woven in a basket pattern…


image
 
 
These will clean up nicely and be a pretty addition to my fall table…
 
 
image
 
 
image
 
 
A pair of Red Foo Dogs…
 
 
image
 
 
And this hand made bonsai tree with the leaves and fruit carved from soapstone…
 
 
image
 
 
image
 
 
These might be fun on my fall mantel…


image
 
 
This 2ft tall wire basket…all twisted metal and really cool…
 
 
image
(bad i-phone pic)
 
 
image
 
 
And finally, my favorite find this month…
 
 
image
 
 
This empty frame was actually found by Mimi at a garage sale for $10…and she knew I would love it, so she bought it for me! Thanks Mom! It measures 2ft x 3ft and I am planning on adding a chalkboard and hanging in my family room.

I have been wanting to make a chalkboard since finding some really cool inspiration photos on Pinterest…


34902965832736272_MP70hY2G_c[1]
 
 
28640147599818720_1vxcYKQs_c[1]
 
 
184718022187175392_jhWLMc97_c[1]
 
You can see more inspiration pictures on my Pinterest board Chalkboard Art.

The frame is a little distressed and finished in a brown stain with gold accents on the corner detail…


image
 
 
I was planning on painting it a solid color…but am now considering leaving it as is for a while. What do you think? Should I paint the frame or leave it all chippy and distressed?
 
Do you like to browse thrift stores and antique shops? What is your latest, favorite find?


Linking up to...Southern Hospitality, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
 
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Love the little white basket. LEAVE THE FRAME DISTRESSED!!!! I have some of these from when my family owned the Portrait Studio! Fav!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made my own chalkboard magnetic frame using one I found off Craigslist- I love it!! I WISH I could do the chalkboard art though, but my handwriting looks like a Doctor's, lol!

    (I also have the DIY tutorial on my blog to make the magnetic chalkboard frame if you need any tips!- http://www.abubblylife.com/2012/06/diy-magnetic-chalkboard-frame.html


    Visiting from Southern Hospitality!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great finds!! I could see the frame looking good both ways! A chalkboard will look really good inside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh!!! I came over from Rhoda's blog after seeing your foo dogs over there! I am CRAZY for them! If you have ANY desire to sell them, PLEASE tell me NOW!!! I would love to have pair like that for my home! And I really like that frame your mom found for you...personally, I would leave it as is because that is what would work best in my home...but you have to do what works in yours! You really had some great thrifting finds to share! So happy to meet you!

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10