home about projects services contact

Thursday, January 12, 2012

2012 Home Goals…


With the new year comes new motivation. I like the feeling of having a fresh start. Time to re-visit all of the 2011 home goals that I did not accomplish (remember my last post?)

While thinking about this post, I am reminded of a riddle I first heard from a friend when I lived in Texas.

Q:  How do you eat an elephant?



A:  One bite at a time!

You must eat an elephant one bite at a time ~ African Proverb

The meaning of this proverb is powerful. A large goal can be accomplished by taking many small “bites”. When the distance of where I am now to where I want to be seems a bit overwhelming…I often think about this proverb and say to myself “one bite at a time”.

That said, my 2012 Home Goals may feel elephant in size but I will accomplish them bite by bite. Here is my list and some inspiration photos to whet your appetite…

Bite One: mini kitchen makeover…

Pinned Image


Pinned Image


Pinned Image

I chose these inspiration pictures for the gray and white palette they all use. Luckily, I already have white cabinets with white corian countertops, so the changes I will be making with be mostly cosmetic. I plan to strip the old wallpaper, paint the walls gray and add a new light fixture. I love the quatrefoil design on the backs of the barstools…a possible DIY project to add the the list!

Bite Two: family room window…

Pinned Image


Pinned Image

Again, a relatively simple goal here. I already have beautiful white wood framed windows in my family room. I plan to add some homemade panels to the sides and hang a woven wood roman shade like the photos above.

Bite Three: master bedroom facelift…

Pinned Image


Pinned Image

In lieu of the major re-model project this room needs (read – original 1967 tile on the bathroom floor!) I will be updating with a new color palette. I love the mix of gray and taupe as shown in the photos. These colors create a sophisticated, serene, peaceful mood which is perfect for our master retreat.

Bite Four: walk in master closet…

Pinned Image

Who doesn’t want a closet like this?!? I am in the enviable situation in that we have an extra bedroom next to our master bedroom upstairs. Did I say “extra” bedroom? Yes…I did!! The plan from day one when we moved into this house – 8 years ago – was to make this extra bedroom a walk-in closet. As a result, it currently holds all of the overflow from our regular master bedroom closets. On the downside…it also holds all of the overflow from the rest of our house. You know the “junk drawer”? imagine that times 100!! Luggage, furniture, home décor, project supplies…etc., etc., etc.

So this will be my most ambitious project yet. To get the room to look more like my closet inspiration photos, first step – add shelving, drawers, and wardrobe cabinets, to hold all of our clothes, shoes, and accessories…

Pinned Image


Pinned Image

Then fill it up…

Pinned Image


Pinned Image


Pinned Image

You can see more of my inspiration photos for my closet and the other project listed above on my pinterest page here.

Well…4 bites in and I am already feeling very FULL!! I think this is a good start to the list of Home Goals I have made for myself this year. I will be doing my best to accomplish this list…and posting progress pictures as I go along. Please check back often…

Sharing this post over at nesting place -  link party…

Screen-Shot-2012-01-11-at-7.10.39-AM-300x215[1]

4 comments:

  1. It looks like you have a lot of great inspiration. Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of taking one "bite" at a time, projects can be very overwhelming. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura, you have some fabulous plans for this year and I wish you good luck with them. If they materialize you will have one gorgeous home. I love the pictures you shared. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura, some of the pinned images do not work anymore.

    Paul @ Capital Bedrooms

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10