home about projects services contact

Friday, January 20, 2012

Family Room Window progress…


As promised, here is a progress report on my family room window project.
I decided to add drapery panels and bamboo roman shades as previously shared in my last post seen here. After gathering all of the supplies needed for this task, I did the next most important step…called my Mom and asked if she would come over and help me. Luckily she said “Yes”!

Now, as anyone who has ever done any kind of home project knows…there are always, and I do mean ALWAYS some sort of “issue” that pops us – usually right in the middle of your project. My first issue was with the rings I purchased to hang my panels on the wooden rod.

image

Simply put…they are too small! That’s an issue! Actually, some of them seem to slide on OK – but others are too tight and even scrape off some of the dark finish on the rod when I force them on. Not going to work.
The good news - I happen to have some other rings on hand that I can use. I have been saving these wooden rings from a window treatment I made years ago for another house we previously lived in.

image

However, I really like the look of the metal rings in the aged nickel finish. So time to spray paint…

image

Now they look like this…

image
Perfect!

This little “issue” actually worked out in my favor. I wanted to make the drapery panels pleated for a more custom look – as opposed to the less formal look of straight panels attached with ring clips. And, the clips on the nickel rings were not large enough to hold the thickness of the fabric I am using.
Speaking of pleating…we used pleating tape. This product works wonderfully, and makes pleating the panels so quick and easy…

image

Just sew the tape to the top of your panel…then insert the pleater hooks into the pre-made pockets, and you have beautiful, even pleats…

image

image

I am really liking the layered look of the panels over the bamboo roman shades. I still have a couple of touches left…including the hem on each panel. It is a good idea to hang your drapes and let them “relax” for a couple of days before hemming. Then you can pin a hem line, while they are hanging, so you will end up with the perfect length…

image

One more peek - before the final “after” photos…

image

I am excited to get this project finished. I can add it to my list of accomplishments – remember my word of the year?

Linking up to the following parties - The Shabby Nest, French Country Cottage, The Charm of Home
At the Picket Fence, Common Ground, 2805, Stuff and Nonsense, Serenity Now


4 comments:

  1. I love your drapes - you truly did give them perfect pleats! Nice fabric choice too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Crissy! I am happy with the way the whole project turned out.
    Have a great day ~ Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful drapes! Thank you for sharing your lovely post at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you need some good transaction hardware for your office reception? Reception sliding window is now available in different configuration and even the same configuration hardware also allow different option according to the site of installation. These hardware are easy to use and available at reasonable cost.

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10